Sometimes it is nice to step away from the decorating and go back to a classic cake. Pineapple upside down cake is one of those cakes. It is easy to make, inexpensive and delicious. We modified ours slightly to make an extra moist and pineappley cake.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, seperated
- 1/8 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 can pineapple slices, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 fresh pineapple or 2 cans sliced pineapple
- Maraschino cherries (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350F and place rack in center of oven.
2. Butter a 9inch round cake pan
3. To make the topping, place butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan and stir over medium heat until sugar has dissolved into the melted butter. Without stirring, continue to cook until bubbles start to appear around the edges of the mixture. Remove from heat and pour into the cake pan. Evenly arrange the pineapple slices on top of the mixture. If using cherries, you can place those in the centers of the pineapple rings.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg whites and cream of tartar until they hold firm peaks
5. To make the cake batter, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. In separate bowl (mixer bowl), beat the butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in the vanilla extract and pineapple juice. Add egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape the sides of the bowl and alternately add the flour mixture and milk, ending with dry ingredients.
6. Fold in the egg white mixture and pineapple chunks into cake batter gently.
7. Carefully pour batter into pan and smooth the top, making sure not to move the layer of pineapple below. 8. Bake for approx 50min. Top of cake should be browned and toothpick into the center should come out clean.
8. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack for about 15 minutes, then run a knife around the edge and invert cake onto plate.