I decided to try out something I normally don’t make, meatloaf. I generally find meatloaf boring and just overall not that appealing, but since I had all the ingredients, I thought I would try to change it up a bit and make it more interesting. In the end, I created a cross between meatloaf and sheppards pie.
– 2lbs ground beef
– 1/2 a leek
– 1 small onions
– 1 stalk celery
– 1 small tomato
– 1 carrot
– 1/2 a green pepper
– parsley finely chopped, to taste
– 4 potatoes
– 4 eggs
– tortilla chips (can use breadcrumbs)
– worcestershire sauce
– salt and pepper
– chili powder (optional)
– paprika (optional)
1. Start off by putting the tortilla chips in a food processor to make into crumbs and set aside.
*If using the tortilla chips, remember that they have salt on them so you don’t need to season with as much salt .
2. Chop up the leek, onion, celery, tomato, green pepper and carrot to very small pieces. Mix the chopped veggies with the meat, 3 eggs, Worcestershire sauce, tortilla crumbs and seasoning. I used some paprika, chili powder, salt and pepper.
3. Put the meat mixture into any mold that you want, ramekins would work or even a muffin pan, I used our mini Dutch oven bakers.
4. Peel and chop the potatoes, then put them into boiling salted water to cook until soft. Mash the potatoes with some garlic, butter and parsley. I used our KitchenAid mixer and it took about a minute.
5. Once the potatoes are mashed and creamy, add an egg and mix it in. Top the meat mixture with the mashed potatoes and bake at 350F for about 35-40 minutes. Serve with your favourite gravy.