Enjoy a beer with dinner? How about a beer in your dinner? We made our version of a traditional English “steak and ale pie”, and it turned out really nice! It is a great, filling meal to make during these colder months.
- Beef stewing meat
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 pie shell (you could also use puff pastry)
- 2 tbsp flour
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 bottle dark beer (we used Guinness extra stout)
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 cup white Mushrooms
- 1 cup brown mushrooms
- 1 portobello mushroom
1. Melt 3 tbsp butter and sautee onions until caramelized. Add flour and stir for one minute then pour in beer and bring to simmer.
2. Season beef with salt and pepper. Heat up frying pan with a little oil.
3. Brown meat in small batches to insure enough room in pan and so that the pan and oil stays hot. Once all the meat is browned put it into the simmering beer mixture. De-glaze the pan used to fry the meat in with beef stock and then pour the stock into the beer and meat mix.
4. Let this mix simmer for an hour and a half then take off the heat and let it cool.
6.Preheat oven to 350F. To assemble, mix the meat and beer mixture with the mushrooms in a large pie dish or casserole dish. Cover with pie shell and brush with egg wash. Cut a few slots to vent steam. Bake for 35-45 minutes, until the pie crust is golden brown.