Pineapples were on sale so I wanted to pick some up and make a dessert. We had recently made a Pineapple Upside Down Cake, so I was looking for something different to try. The grilled pineapple we used for the Hawaiian Pizza was really juicy and delicious, so I decided to go back to the BBQ. I came up with a nice, sweet dessert that pairs nicely with ice cream or is great by itself.
– 1 Pineapple
– 1 can coconut milk
– 3/4 cup brown sugar
– 1/4 cup rum
1. For the marinade, heat 1 can of coconut milk until hot but not boiling. Take off the heat and add 1/2 cup of brown sugar and the rum. Set the marinade aside until it cools.
2. After cutting off the rind, cut the pineapple into quarters and remove core. Once the core is removed you can cut the quarters down again once or twice depending how many pieces you want.
3. Place pineapple in a deep baking pan or freezer bag and pour in the room temperature marinade. Let it sit for 45 minutes to an hour.
4. Pre-heat the bbq to high then place the pineapple on grill and leave for 3-5 minutes depending how thick the pieces are.
6. Put the extra marinade in a pot and add another 1/4 cup brown sugar. Boil down the mixture to a thick syrup to top the grilled pineapple with and serve warm. You can also top it off with toasted coconut flakes to add a little crunch.